Berndt Friberg is born in Höganäs, Sweden in 1899. He began working as an apprentice at Höganäs Pottery at the age of 13 while he simultaneously attended a technical school. He worked in numerous kilns, for 22 years, until he was 35, as a wheel-throwing craftsman. In 1934, he returned to Sweden, and began working at Gustavsbergs Porcelain Factory. He apprenticed under art director Wilhelm Kåge, and opened his own pottery studio in Gustavsberg in 1944. His works were shown in many solo and group exhibitions. Along with Kåge and Stig Lindberg, Friberg created the golden age of Gustavsbergs Porcelain Factory’s G-Studio. His works were collected by King Carl Gustaf of Sweden, Yves Saint Laurent, and Robert Mapplethorpe and is represented in major museum collections including those of the Nationalmuseum in Stockholm, Museum of Applied Art and National Museum of Denmark in Copenhagen, Museum of Modern Art and Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, and the University Art Museum, Tokyo University of the Arts. Friberg received the gold prize at the Triennale di Milano in 1948, 1951, and 1954; Gregor Paulsson Trophy in 1960; first prize at the Faenza International Ceramic Art Competition in 1965; and the Prince Eugene Medal (Sweden) in 1980. He was also represented in the Contemporary Ceramics Exhibition held in Japan in 1964.
Berndt Friberg the bulk of his pieces in the 1950s, is one of Sweden’s most acclaimed ceramicists. Known for his exquisite forming and glaze-making skills, Friberg researched form and glaze throughout his life, during which he independently produced thousands of pieces (text: Taka Ishii Gallery Modern).
Pictures: Berndt Friberg, portrait (source Pinterest); Friberg at the wheel, picture from the book Berndt Friberg Keramiker 1994; 8 vases 1960s-1970s (source Phillips NY); 3 vases (source Heritage Auctions); signatures and book Berndt Friberg Keramiker 1994.