Gutte Eriksen is born in Rødby on the island of Lolland in Denmark in 1918. She studied at the Kunsthåndvaerkskolen in Copenhagen from 1936 to 1939. In 1941 she set up a studio with two other artists in Hareskov, loving to her own studio in Kastrup the following year. From 1953 she worked in her studio at Karlsminde. In 1948 she spent two months working with Bernard Leach in St Ives, and later that year she worked in France with Pierre Lion and Vassil Ivanoff. She visited Japan to work with potters there in 1970 and again in 1973.
Gutte Eriksen influenced a whole generation of Danish potters with both her work and teaching. She taught at the Jutland Academy of Fine Arts, Arhus, in 1968-71, 1973-4 and 1976-8. Her public commissions include fountains in Østre Landsret and Holstebro. In 1972 she won the Gold Medal in Faenza and in 1985 she was awarded the Thorvald Bindesbøll Medal of the Danish Academy of Fine Arts. In 2000 she was given The Prince Eugen Medal, awarded by the Swedish Royal Family for outstanding artistic achievement. She was honoured with a major retrospective at the Vejen Kunstmuseum in 2001. Gutte Eriksen died in 2008 (text Galerie Besson).
Pictures: portrait Gutte Eriksen during her working period with Vassil Ivanoff in La Borne in 1948; portrait Gutte Eriksen 1995 (source Holstebro Kunstmuseum); small pot, ca. 1995 (source MAAK London); two handles pot (source RetroPottery.net).